Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Getting Control Over Womanly Emotions


Blame it on pregnancy hormones, but my emotions have been out of control lately! Everything seems to be piling up on me these last few weeks--hubby is working long hours, leaving us very little time with each other as a family, baby Henry is cutting teeth like mad, making him irritable and needy, and last trimester pregnancy discomfort is allowing me about 4 hours of sleep per night, leaving me cranky and physically uncomfortable! I have lashed out in anger towards my husband and my son several times this week. I have spent plenty of time on my knees in prayer over these events, and it has convicted me of several truths:


Don't Use Hormonal Imbalance as an Excuse for Sin!

When I snap at my husband or children, my first reaction is to blame it on my hormones, be it pregnancy, post-partum, or just that lovely time of the month! Ladies, we can not blame our sinful tendencies (anger, selfishness, depression, etc...) on our hormones! Yes, hormonal imbalance is real, but we can not use it as an excuse for sin. Try to know your body, how you will feel in certain seasons of life. If you struggle monthly with your emotions, mark it on a calendar! Be ready! Make it your goal to eliminate as much stress as possible by serving simple meals, doing only basic housekeeping, etc.... That way, when you start to feel tired and irritable, your work load will be light, freeing you up to relax and just enjoy the company of your loved ones.

Rely on God!

Oh goodness, what a revelation for me! Instead of letting my emotions have complete power over me, I should turn it all over to God! Why is it so hard for us (women) to do this? Why do we have this super-woman mentality that tells us we have to do everything perfectly, every single time? I believe God specifically puts us in certain situations and seasons at certain times to reveal truths to us about ourselves. What He has revealed to me right now in this end of pregnancy melt-down that I am having is that I need to cry out to and rely on Him much, much more! I am to dependent on my own strength to get me through dificult times, and my faith is weak in this area. Thank you, Lord, for revealing to me the truth!

Rejoice in the Trials!

Sometimes we just have to step back and see the bigger picture. Sometimes what feels like the weight of the world on your shoulders isn't really that big of a deal in the long run. Is one day of a fussy, teething baby really worth all the frustration when compared to the joy of raising that child? More often than not, a trial is for our own good, teaching us and humbling us along the way. Remember, this too, shall pass!


As women, it can be extremely dificult to control our emotions--I struggle with this issue quite a bit myself! We must remember that any struggles we have with this particular issue can be layed down (again and again, if necessary!) at the feet of Jesus. He doesn't want you to deal with this on your own.


Sisters, I would love to hear how you deal with womanly emotions, as I am always looking for tips in this area!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a terrific post and confirms exactly what my sis and I were talking about the other day. Hormones and how they effect our lives. You are so right to suggest we think ahead and eliminate as much stress as possible when we no we are hormonal.

    ReplyDelete