Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our Family-Favorite Meal--Pizza!!!


What's not to love about a steamy-fresh piece of pizza? My family loves it, and we eat pizza at least once a week. Although delicious, the average take-out pie is high-priced and questionable in the nutrtion department, so we prefer to make our pizza at home. I would like to share with you my favorite recipe:


Pizza Dough:

2 c. flour (I use 1 c. regular and 1 c. whole-wheat)

1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast, proofed for 5 minutes in 1 c. hot water with 1 tbsp. honey

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. melted butter (I recomend the real stuff, not margarine!)

1 tbsp. dried oregano or savory

Combine all dry ingreedients in a large mixing bowl; incorporate wet ingreedients until doughy. Cover with a bit of olive oil; cover bowl with a clean dish towel and allow to rise about 20 minutes. Turn dough out onto a greased pizza pan, kneading to the edges.


Now you're ready to build the pizza--here's what I do:

Spread the pizza with sauce--you can make your own, which I usually do, or use a store-bought sauce. I like Newman's Own Organic Marinara Pasta Sauce for pizza, and it's great for dipping breadsticks, too!

Add your toppings--our favorite combo is sausage, pepperoni, onion and black olives, as well as adding about 1/2 tbsp. dried red chili flakes. We love it spicy!

Top with cheese--we use a 5-cheese Italian blend for traditional flavor.


Bake your pie at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes; slice and enjoy!


What are some of your family-favorite meals?

2 comments:

  1. hi! thanks for visiting me today. we love pizza here. we could eat pizza every day! i'm going to have to try your recipe. have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! But, I've never met a pizza I didn't like! :)

    ReplyDelete